Local activities for the whole family to enjoy;
- Fabulous walks of all grades in the Northumberland National Park and Cheviot Hills
- Fishing on the the Rede
- Leisurely Cycling or challenging mountain biking ( and sailing) at Kielder Water and Forest Park,
- Cycling on national cycle routes or local minor roads
- Horse-riding near Elsdon
- Golf at Bellingham.
- Swimming pool at the Riverdale hotel in Bellingham and an excellent play area
- Wildlife safaris in the Rede Valley
- Kielder Observatoryis only a 40minute drive from Otterburn and forms the hub of the newly created Northumberland and Kielder International Dark Sky Park- highly recommended and very popular, worth booking up to 3 months in advance.
For a day trip, Edinburgh is 75 miles and Newcastle is only 35 miles with its shopping, rejuvenated Quayside area, Baltic Art Centre and The Sage for live music events.
Rothbury Tourism Association website www.theheartofnorthumberland.co.uk provides a good source of information on local events. Both cottages have large number of local leaflets and tourist information
The newly opened Borders Railway runs from Tweedbank (about 30 miles from Otterburn) to Edinburgh and takes about 90mins each way making a day trip excellent value and more relaxing than driving!